The city fire department is trying to figure out what sparked the flames that ripped through a two-family Brooklyn row home early Monday morning.
The flames broke out at 71 Dahlgreen Place in Bay Ridge shortly before 2 a.m and nearly spread to the house next door.
The fire was under control by around 4:30 a.m.
"The fire was located in the second floor up into the attic, into the rear and the collapse was in the rear portion of the building, partial collapse kind of leaned two into the bottom, into the first floor," said FDNY Deputy Chief Richard Howe.
"The back was all on fire, when I opened the door first the flame came this way I just ran out and ran across the yard, climbed a fence and got out," said Michael Nickolson, one of the homeowners.
Two firefighters suffered minor injuries but no residents were hurt.
Investigators say the fire does not appear suspicious.