Firefighters from several ladder companies battled a five-alarm fire at a Hamilton Heights apartment building Monday evening that left at least one civilian and 19 firefighters injured.
FDNY officials say the blaze started on the top floor of 520 West 139th Street around 3:45 p.m. and spread through the building's top floor and cockloft.
The fire was put out around three hours later, according to the FDNY.
According to the FDNY, one civilian was injured but refused medical treatment, eight firefighters with minor injuries were hospitalized and another 11 firefighters were treated at the scene.
Residents say the fire was caused by an overused electrical plug in a top-floor apartment.
NY1 spoke with a man on the scene who said the flames broke out inside his family's apartment.
He said, "My sister saw the fire in the master bedroom and she went to my father's bedroom and she went to tell him, 'There's a fire in another bedroom.' My father went over there and checked and they didn't have time to do anything, they just ran."
By Monday night, FDNY officials had not been able to determine the actual cause of the fire.
Red Cross workers were helping displaced residents.