Sunday, December 28, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


Manhattan Hate-Crime Murder Suspect Held Without Bail

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Manhattan Hate-Crime Murder Suspect Held Without Bail
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A Manhattan man is being held without bail on murder charges, after authorities say he committed a hate-crime shooting in Greenwich Village last week.

Elliot Morales, 33, seen above center, was arraigned on charges of second-degree murder as a hate crime, menacing and criminal possession of a weapon.

He is accused of shooting Mark Carson, a 32-year-old Brooklyn resident, in the face by the Gray's Papaya eatery at Sixth Avenue and West 8th Street.

Morales and two other men allegedly walked up to Carson, who was walking on Sixth Avenue with another man, and began making anti-gay remarks.

Police say the suspects followed the men, and then Morales allegedly pulled a gun and shot Carson's cheek, killing him.

Morales was arrested minutes later the shooting, and police say he was carrying several fake IDs and refused to be fingerprinted.

The NYPD's Facial Recognition Unit had to positively identify Morales.

Authorities say Morales was arrested for attempted murder 15 years ago.

Police say shortly before the shooting, Morales was seen urinating on the wall of a restaurant on Barrow Street and told a bartender that confronted him that he would shoot him if he called police.

The two men Morales was with the night of the shooting have been questioned and released.

Officials say they are cooperating with the investigation.

Meantime, a growing memorial near the scene of the crime grabbed the attention of many New Yorkers passing by.

"This is 2013 and really don't expect this in New York City. In the last few weeks there have been a lot of incidents of gay couples jumped, beat up, put in the hospital," said one passerby.

"Things have come so far since I was a kid and we made so much progress it's so hard to see this happen again," said another passerby.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says Carson's death is the third anti-gay attack in three weeks and 22nd bias crime in the city this year.

Morales is scheduled to be back in court on Thursday.

Related Stories ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP