Friday, December 26, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


Life Returning To Normal For Family Forced To Live Out Of Trailer After Sandy

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Life Returning To Normal For Family Forced To Live Out Of Trailer After Sandy
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

In January, Queens reporter Ruschell Boone paid a visit to the tight quarters that one family was still living in after being forced from their home by Hurricane Sandy.
She paid another visit, and says that this time, they have a lot more elbow room.

The Hewits are finally home and back to business as usual, which includes a family dinner every night and a lot of humor as they continue to rebuild their lives.

"We got some ribs. Too bad we don't have a countertop to put it on. So we are going to prop things up over here," George Hewit said.

"I can cook these ribs in the oven in the trailer," he added, before giving his wife a look. He knows she doesn't want to hear anything about the camper they lived in for nearly three months.

"I hate to go in there," she said.

The couple, their two children and their dog were forced to move to the trailer after Hurricane Sandy destroyed their home.

NY1 told you about as they dealt with the difficulty of moving from a 2,000-square-foot house to a 28-square-foot vehicle.

"My wife and I sleep in here," George Hewit said back in January. "The table turns into a bed, believe it or not. That's where my youngest son sleeps, but we have to clear everything off of it first. And my oldest son sleeps on the futon there."

The boys are now back in their rooms, and they couldn't be happier.

Maximillian Hewit, the older brother, lost most of his personal items, but the move back home is slowly cheering him up.

"It's great to be back," he said.

While the house isn't 100 percent, it's almost there. The Hewits said that the contractor kicked the job into high gear once he saw how the the family was struggling in the camper.

George Hewit said it's been a tough journey.

"It feels like we have been plugging away for a long time," he said. "But I can see the finish line, and that is a good thing."

While they still use the camper for some things, the family said they probably won't need it in a couple of weeks, so they are putting it up for sale. They'll be happy to see it go.

Related Stories ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP