A young girl died after she was found unconscious inside her family's Bronx home Friday, and while relatives say she had been sick, officials are trying to determine the exact cause of her sudden death. NY1's Arlene Borenstein filed the following report.
Emergency medical technicians rushed to a Morrisania apartment Friday afternoon, after they received an urgent 911 call that said three-year-old Crystal Sanchez was unconscious and in need of help.
NY1 is told her stepfather was the man who made the call.
"She was with her stepfather," said Pastora Noe, a cousin of the victim's mother. "She was three years old. Her name is Crystal and she was sweet."
Family members say the little girl lived in the apartment with her stepfather, mother and two siblings.
"The father came out screaming," said one neighbor. "I was asking him what happened and he said his daughter died and then I tried to console him."
Family members say the child had been sick. But what caused this tragic and sudden turn will have to be determined by the medical examiner.
Both the stepfather and the mother have been questioned by police. Neighbors and loved ones, meanwhile, lit candles outside the home, honoring the little girl.
"We're always going to have her in our heart," Noe said. "We're going to miss her a lot."
Family members told NY1 that the stepfather frequently took care of the little girl while the mother was at work.
Meanwhile, sources tell NY1 that the Administration for Children's Services is investigating.