Parents at one Queens school are demanding answers after they say the principal failed to notify them about a potential health hazard. NY1's Ruschell Boone filed the following report.
Parents at PS 88 received notices Monday telling them students were being moved off the building's fourth floor and that the ceilings in several classrooms needed repairs. But they say the school never mentioned anything about a problem with mold.
"I was upset because that's all the notice that they gave," said one parent.
In the notice parents received Monday, Principal David Bishop said the reason for the move was water damage. There is no mention of mold. In fact, parents say they heard about the mold problem only after teachers started talking about it.
"Imagine in a school, they have to breathe it and smell it all day," said one parent. "That's pretty horrendous."
The Department of Education said the mold was discovered in 15 rooms on the fourth floor. The school has temporarily relocated classes to other parts of the building. That also has some parents upset because their children are now in larger classes that are meeting in places like the auditorium and the library. But others say after speaking with their children, they don't see a problem.
"She didn't give me any complaints," said one parent. "The only thing, that she was in different classes."
"I'm not really worried," said a second parent. "It's a good school. They take care of the kids. It's not really an issue."
Five months ago, the Department of Buildings cited the school for a leaking exterior. Late Wednesday evening, work was under way to try to remedy the water and mold problem.
The DOE said the work will continue over the weekend. It's expected to be completed by next Wednesday.