Two of the surviving victims of a March 2011 deadly tour bus crash on the New England Thruway testified Friday against the driver during his manslaughter trial in the Bronx. NY1's Dean Meminger filed the following report.
Siu Ying Ng showed the horrible scars on her leg, injuries from a bus crash that killed 15 people and seriously injured 15 others.
She and another survivor briefly testified in court Friday. They said the bus that Ophadell Williams was driving from the Mohegan Sun casino in Connecticut was doing a lot of swerving before it crashed last year on the New England Thruway.
Siu Yung Ng told the court that her ability to walk and her life have been destroyed.
"I really don't want to live," she said through an interpreter. "I have so much pain. The pain that I am substantiating, I would rather die."
Bronx prosecutors say the Worldwide bus hit a guard rail and flipped on its side, sliding into a pole that split the bus nearly in half at the borderline of the Bronx and Westchester.
Prosecutors say Williams was driving recklessly because he was too sleepy to be behind the wheel.
But his lawyer calls it a tragic accident and says Williams isn't to blame. Defense Attorney Patrick Bruno says many survivors will exaggerate the extent of their injuries.
"There is something like $3 billion in lawsuits pending here," Bruno said. "What I'm saying is they have to be here making things sound as terrible as they can and they have to attribute everything to my client's reckless driving."
Williams has repeatedly told investigators that a tractor trailer cut him off, causing the accident. But investigators say they didn't find any evidence of that.
More survivors are expected to testify in the trial, including a man who lost both arms in the crash.