A basketball tournament was postponed Thursday after gunfire rang out at Rucker Park late Wednesday night, leaving five people shot.
It happened around 11 p.m. during the Entertainers Basketball Classic in the famed Rucker Park near the Polo Grounds Houses in Harlem.
Police say it all began when a fight broke out after officials tried to remove an intoxicated man from the park.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says the shooter seemed to fire randomly before targeting one individual.
"Someone wearing a green shirt - we have film - a lime green shirt; took out a gun, shot four people in the vicinity of the basketball court, one of them being the players and chased another individual across the street and shot that individual," Kelly said.
Attendees tell NY1 there was security at the tournament, though it was not able to prevent the violence.
"At first me and my friends was trying to get like up on the bleachers to see the fight, but then that's when the shots broke loose so that's when we just all was like turned our heads and then we jumped to the floor but then when the shots like calmed down I got back up and then that's when I just ran out the park," said one witness.
Greg Marius, the organizer of the popular three-decade-old tournament, says he will beef up security now, and will not move the tournament away from one of the best known basketball venues in the country.
"It's unfortunate there are so many kids out here that are not understanding this is not the place that if you have a beef you should settle that beef," Marius said.
"This is where a lot of the basketball greats started and the kids want to come here because it's different and Rucker Park represents what is good about basketball," said College Division Coordinator Mike Sumner.
Residents who spoke with NY1 say it comes too close on the heels of little Lloyd Morgan's shooting death, at another basketball court in the Bronx, last weekend.
"First that little kid, another one down here. I think it really is ugly," said one Harlem resident.
"I think they need to just stop making guns period," said another resident.
Former Knicks Guard Nate Robinson was watching the game but was not injured.
All five victims were taken nearby hospitals and are expected to survive.
So far, no arrests have been made.
Anyone with information on the case should contact the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS, or text CRIMES and then enter TIP577, or visit www.nypdcrimestoppers.com.