Saturday, December 20, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


Queens Shooting Suspect Struck Twice In 20 Minutes

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Queens Shooting Suspect Struck Twice In 20 Minutes
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A suspect was arrested Friday in connection with two separate shootings in Jamaica, Queens that left two victims dead and another hospitalized with a gunshot wound to the face. NY1's Zack Fink filed the following report.

Police searched for clues Friday on the Q111 bus where two people were shot, one of them fatally.

"As we were crossing the street here, we heard a couple shots rang out, and by living here in this neighborhood, we're familiar with those sounds and we knew they were gunshots. So, we started taking cover because we didn't know what direction they were coming from," said one resident.

Police say it all started with a separate incident about two and a half miles away in South Jamaica. An argument inside an apartment building led to the shooting of an 18-year old man in the neck.

A person who knew the victim said he was shot by his stepfather.

"Shot him. He flew out the window. Jumped out the second floor window, stumbled and fell to the floor. I believe that's when my brother and a couple of neighbors helped him out," said the resident.

About 20 minutes later, gunfire erupted on the city bus just as it was pulling into its last stop.

The bus was traveling on Archer Avenue when the driver was reportedly informed by passengers that there had been a shooting.

One man was found shot and killed on the back step well of the bus. Another 29-year old man was shot in the face and taken to Jamaica Hospital.

"What I saw was a sea of people young and old running in one direction. Then I saw a number of people going away from the danger. One young woman was very upset. She was on her cell phone and she looked at me and said two people got shot," said one resident.

"I was trying to get away from the area after the first shot. It was very traumatic to me. I've seen this happen many times, and I did not want to be that person to get a stray bullet, so I removed myself immediately," said another.

Police have taken a 34-year old man into custody. They believe he is responsible for both shooting incidents. They also recovered a handgun. He was arrested near where the incident occurred at Jamaica Station. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP