United States Attorney General Eric Holder announced Wednesday the Obama administration is close to selecting a location for the September 11th terror trial.
Speaking in Washington, D.C., Holder says the process is ongoing, but the U.S. Department of Justice is close to a decision on where and how to try the self-confessed mastermind of the World Trade Center attacks, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed.
"We are working to make a determination about the placement of that trial. And I would hope that whatever the decision is would be one that would be judged on merit and that what is best for the case and for justice in that case will be the thing that will guide the decision," Holder said.
Last year, the Obama administration announced it planned to prosecute Mohammed in federal court in Lower Manhattan.
Following strong opposition from Mayor Michael Bloomberg and local officials, they said they would rethink the decision.
In a statement today, Senator Charles Schumer said, "The trial should not and will not be in New York."
Opponents say the trial would be a financial burden and an imposition on local residents.
It has been suggested the trial could be held at a military facility.