Thursday, September 18, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 

News

S.I. Ferry Involved In Crash Returns To Service

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: S.I. Ferry Involved In Crash Returns To Service
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

The Staten Island ferry that crashed last month is officially back in service.

The Andrew J. Barberi, which injured 48 people when it slammed into a pier at the St. George Ferry Terminal on May 8th, resumed its normal route Sunday between Staten Island and Manhattan.

The ship's re-launch flew mostly under the radar.

Some passengers who spoke with NY1 at the terminal didn't know the Barberi might be the ship they would board.

"I have to have faith in the system and hopefully everything will be okay, the waters are calm," said one ferry rider.

"I've been taking the ferry for 30 years, not afraid," said another.

The National Transportation Safety Board says tests on the damaged Barberi confirmed the vessel's propulsion system didn't respond properly.

NTSB officials say the defective parts were replaced, and the system is now working properly.

In 2003, the Barberi crashed at full speed into a concrete pier killing 11 people and injuring dozens of others.

The ferry's pilot, Richard Smith, lost consciousness while at the ship's controls.

The NTSB says the propulsion system was not a factor in that crash.

Investigators have yet to issue a formal finding on what caused last month's accident.

Related Stories

10.11.12.244 ClientIP: 54.234.59.94, 23.62.7.37 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP