Mayor Michael Bloomberg said today that he wishes the federal government would make a decision already on where to hold the trial for the suspects charged in the September 11th terrorist attacks.
Earlier this week, Attorney General Eric Holder said the White House is still considering where to hold the trial of admitted mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his alleged co-conspirators.
Holder said the federal court in Lower Manhattan is still a possibility. The idea has been strongly criticized by residents who are concerned about safety and years of inconvenience.
The mayor initially supported the idea, but changed his mind earlier this year, saying it would be too expensive and disruptive.
"I don't think the decision's going to get any easier for them. I've given them my opinion, and they can do what they want, but I do think they should do it,” Bloomberg said on his radio show. “Do it, in the sense of making a decision, one way or another, and I hope the decision is to have the trial elsewhere."
Today the mayor also mentioned that parade routes may be restored to their original lengths if the economy gets better. The city is shortening all parades to save money.
The Tartan Day Parade last Saturday was the first one affected.