Thursday, April 24, 2014

Alert

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Archbishop Dolan Attends Funeral Of Haitian Archbishop

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Archbishop Dolan Attends Funeral Of Haitian Archbishop
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

As a live man was pulled from the rubble in Haiti Saturday, New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan attended Saturday the funeral services for the archbishop of Port-au-Prince, who died in the earthquake on January 12.

The service was held in front of the collapsed ruins of Port-au-Prince's cathedral.

The body of Monsignor Joseph Serge Miot, right, was found in the ruins of the archdiocese's office in Port-au-Prince.

Dolan, who arrived in Haiti on Friday, is the head of Catholic Relief Services and was asked to attend the service by the Papal ambassador to Haiti.

The archbishop of New York also brought supplies and planned to spend time with relief workers.

Meanwhile, as the Haitian government declared the end of the official search and rescue effort for earthquake survivors on Saturday, rescuers pulled a live 23-year-old man from the rubble of a fruit and vegetable shop in Port-au-Prince.

French medics were treating the man on Saturday, and an official said he was in good condition. Earlier in the day, the crew dug a tunnel to reach him and gave him water.

UN officials say more than 130 living people were pulled from the rubble by international teams, but that 11 days after the quake hit there is little hope of finding many more living survivors in the rubble.

Yet officials say rescue teams will act if they find any signs of life.

Two people were found alive on Friday -- a 21-year-old man who was expected to make a full recovery and an 84-year-old woman who was in critical condition on Saturday.

More attention now is focusing on the injured, as hospitals are overrun with patients and there is a shortage of medical personnel, including surgeons.

Doctors say patients are dying from infection because their wounds have gone untreated for so long, and many more are in need of amputations.

Security has also been an issue, with armed looters picking through rubble for whatever they can find.

U.S. troops are being used to protect convoys, but the actual policing is being done by Haitian and United Nations forces.

Tens of thousands of Haitians are trying to flee Port-au-Prince. Some hope to reach relatives outside the city, others have tried to escape abroad.

The U.S. Embassy says it has turned away hundreds of people looking to catch a ride aboard planes that have already dropped off aid supplies.

U.S. officials have warned Haitians not to try and reach Florida illegally.

Haiti's government is promising to move the hundreds of thousands of people living on the streets of the capital into tent cities that are being established outside the city.

The U.S. Army, Navy and Coast Guard are working to patch up the waterfront and a pier that could be used for large aid shipments.

On Friday night, an all-star roster helped raise money for recovery efforts in Haiti.

The "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon from New York was hosted by Haitian-born musician Wyclef Jean and co-hosted by George Clooney and Anderson Cooper from Los Angeles and Haiti.

Halle Berry, Leonardo DiCaprio and former President Bill Clinton all made appearances as other celebrities manned the phones to take donations.

The two-hour telethon aired on several channels, including all the major networks.

Viewers can also download musical performances by artists like Bruce Springsteen and Alicia Keys on iTunes.

All profits will be given to relief efforts.

Meantime, Wyclef Jean is making some changes at his foundation, Yele Haiti, after concerns were raised about where the money is going.

The charity is hiring a national accounting firm to oversee the funds and RSM McGladrey will also act as a consultant.

Earlier this week, Wyclef defended his organization against accusations of misappropriated funds and that he and a business partner were personally profiting from the charity.

Wyclef admitted the organization made mistakes in the past, but denied ever making money off the foundation.

Also, an estimated 900 American adoption cases are in limbo after the devastating quake.

Hundreds of Haitian orphans were cleared for adoption before the earthquake struck, but many documents were lost, creating a legal log jam that's leaving many parents worried about their children's safety.

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand and other lawmakers say time is of the essence.

"What we're focused on today, is to focus on the most vulnerable population in Haiti and that's the children," she said. "And for anyone here who's a mom knows how quickly a child gets dehydrated, how quickly a child who doesn't have food or nutrition will become so ill that they will not be able to survive. And that is what we are all most worried about right now."

Lawmakers are urging the federal government to speed up the paperwork process to unite orphans with their adoptive parents in the United States as quickly as possible.

10.11.12.242 ClientIP: 54.204.67.26, 165.254.42.196 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP