The Belmont Stakes, the final jewel of horse racing's Triple Crown, may not get out of the starting block in 2010.
Governor David Paterson and legislators are deadlocked on plans to revitalize state race tracks, and the impasse that could scratch this year's race.
New York Racing Association officials believe they will run out of money by this summer.
NYRA, which runs Belmont, Saratoga and Aqueduct, is waiting on money reportedly coming from a plan to set up video lottery terminals at select track locations.
But speaking on NY1 political program “Road to City Hall” Monday night, Senate Conference Leader John Sampson says a long-delayed plan to set up video lottery terminals at the Aqueduct and other locations may move forward by the end of January, and begin generating revenue by the end of the 2010.
"We are concentrating more on that. I met with [Assembly] Speaker [Sheldon Silver] last week, we talked about this issue,” Sampson said. “We are going to get our committee chairs and also the elected officials that represent that area. We're looking to do that probably in the first week in January."
The Belmont Stakes was first run in 1867 at Jerome Park and moved to Belmont Race Track in 1905.
Next year's race is scheduled for June 5th.