Black Eyed Peas
· 16 ounces black-eyed peas
· 1/2 pound hog jowl, lean salt pork, or thick lean bacon, diced
· 1 cup chopped onion
· 1 carrot, peeled and diced
· 4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
· 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
· 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
· 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
· 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
· dash Tabasco, optional
1. Rinse peas and pick over for bad or discolored peas and small stones; transfer to a medium saucepan.
2. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking for five minutes; set aside.
4. Put the meat in a large stock pot and cook over medium heat for about five minutes, until fat is rendered.
5. Add the onion, diced carrot, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until tender, about six to eight minutes.