• 1 1/2 quarts water
• 1 1/2 pounds ham hocks
• 4 pounds collard greens, rinsed and trimmed
• 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the water and the ham hock in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to very low and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
2. Add the collards and the hot pepper flakes the pot. Simmer covered for about two hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the vegetable oil and simmer covered for 30 minutes.