Some of the rescue and recovery workers who were exposed to dust at the site of the former World Trade Center attended a town hall meeting Wednesday to find out more about last week's settlement deal to pay for their health-related claims.
The meeting was held at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Midtown.
A lawyer for thousands of September 11th first responders offered details of the $712 million settlement approved by a judge last week.
The deal offers more money to the victims than the previous deal which was rejected by the court after the judge said too much money was going to the lawyers.
Payouts would range from at least $3,200 to more than a million dollars per person.
Some who attended the meeting said they are on board with the deal.
"My kids ask me questions all the time. What's gonna happen to us when you're gone. Now at least I can tell them that -- you're gonna end up in the same house you've been in all your life, ya know," said former New York City police officer Joseph Greco.
"I need the money and I'm sure everyone else that's here that may not get in front of this microphone feels the same way, we need the money," said plaintiff Lynnette Colbert.
Under the settlement, many would also receive a $100,000 insurance policy to be used if they develop cancer.
"We believe that after two years of negotiations that the amount that these people will receive is fair, is reasonable, is very good compensation for the various injuries," said victims attorney Marc Bern.
Thousands of first responders and rescue workers have filed suit against the city in the wake of the September 11th attacks.
In order for the settlement to go through, 95 percent of the plaintiffs have to sign off on it.
However, they could reject it in the hopes that Congress passes a bill to reopen the September 11th victim compensation fund.