Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Former Paterson Aide Makes Plea For "Second Chance"

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Former Paterson Aide Makes Plea For "Second Chance"
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Nearly a year after pleading guilty to harassing an ex-girlfriend, a former aide to former New York Governor David Paterson says he's ready to return to public life.

David Johnson was flanked by elected and civic leaders Monday outside City Hall.

He says he wants to redeem himself and move forward.

Last year, Johnson pleaded guilty to harassment in a case that embroiled the governor in controversy and contributed to his decision not to run for election in 2010.

Now, Johnson says he wants to team up with a non-profit group to help children learn from his mistakes.

"I think it takes a lot of courage it takes a lot of heart for an individual to stand up here in the face of all of you, meaning the media, and the millions of people who may watch this later on tonight and actually apologize and ask for a second chance and ask for the opportunity to do right," Johnson said.

An independent counsel later determined Paterson mishandled the incident but did not break the law.

10.11.12.245 ClientIP: 23.22.128.96, 184.51.126.47 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP