Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 

News

NY1 Exclusive: Man Cleared In Central Park Jogging Case Demands Apology From Trump

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: NY1 Exclusive: Man Cleared In Central Park Jogging Case Demands Apology From Trump
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

One of the young men exonerated in the Central Park Jogger case has strong words for Donald Trump.

In an exclusive interview with NY1, Raymond Santana is demanding an apology from the real estate mogul who is now considering a run for president.

Trump paid $85,000 for full-page ads in four city newspapers in 1989 calling for the death penalty for Santana and four other teens whose videotaped confessions outraged the city -- confessions they insisted had been forced by police.

In the ads, which have the banner headline "Bring Back the Death Penalty," Trump wrote, "They should be forced to suffer and, when they kill, they should be executed for their crimes. They must serve as examples so that others will think long and hard before committing a crime or an act of violence."

Santana was 14 years old at the time. He says Trump's call for the "death penalty" helped fuel the media firestorm before the suspects even went to trial.

"It says a lot about his character. If he can give the death penalty to 14-year-old, 15-year-old kids then there's nothing he would not do. Those are characteristics of a tyrant, not characteristics of a president," Santana said.

Santana served seven years in prison in connection with the rape and beating of Trisha Meili.

Then another man, Matias Reyes, confessed to the crime and was linked to the scene by DNA evidence. He told officials he acted alone.

The convictions of Santana and the four others were vacated in 2002.

Trump has never apologized for his ads.

"He took the ads out on us. Donald Trump is an opportunist, he's also a user and abuser. He has been using our community since the beginning," said Santana. "It's time that people wake up and see Donald Trump for what he really is. He's a phony. He could've come out and apologized he could have came out and said I was wrong. I think that would have made him look more human in the eyes of society. But he never did that."

Santana and the four other men are now suing the city for malicious prosecution.

NY1 has reached out to Trump for comment.

10.11.12.245 ClientIP: 54.235.51.243, 23.0.160.15 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP